Sugar-free Turkish Delight
A beautiful rose-scented treat made sugar-free, vegan and gluten-free.
Author: Adapted from Lola Workman's recipe
- 800ml water
- 80g / ⅔ cup arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- 4 tbsp agar powder
- 150g / ¾ cup xylitol
- 1 tsp beetroot powder or juice (for colouring)
- 1½ tbsp rose water
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 4 tbsp xylitol
- Mix 100ml of the water with the arrowroot powder in a bowl and set aside for later. Line a small tin with parchment paper.
- Add the remaining 700ml of water to a large saucepan and sprinkle the agar powder on top. Bring to a medium heat and whisk in the xylitol. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer, whisking until the xylitol and agar have dissolved.
- Once dissolved, add the mixture to a blender and mix with the beetroot powder and the arrowroot mixture you made earlier. Blend until smooth and thick. Return to the saucepan.
- Bring back to a low-medium heat and stir gently until the mixture becomes very thick and stretchy. Remove from the heat and stir in the rose water until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth it out evenly. Leave to cool and set in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, prepare an icing sugar by blending the arrowroot and xylitol together until it forms a fine powder. Warning: it will create a lot of dust! Alternatively, use a mixture of ordinary icing powder and arrowroot powder. The arrowroot powder is necessary to stop the Turkish delight from sticking or going soggy.
- Remove the Turkish delight from the fridge and cut into small squares. Coat in the powdered sugar and enjoy!
Xylitol is a natural low carb sweetener that can be found in most supermarkets or health food shops.