Now that I’m baking a lot more, I often find myself with a surplus of baked goods (yes, it’s possible) and have been thinking of a few different ways I can share what I bake and hopefully brighten people’s day in the process. Inspired by the Random Acts Of Kindness movement, here are a few ideas to put your baking skills to good use.
1) Surprise your neighbours
Make a batch of cookies or cupcakes and send them around to your neighbours. If they’re not in, leave in a box on their doorstep with a note.
2) Make an allergy-friendly cake
If you know someone who has special dietary requirements and its hard to find food they can eat, bake them something. Whether it’s vegan, gluten-free, etc.
3) Donate to a homeless shelter
Deliver a warm, fresh batch of homemade bread or two (maybe with some homemade jam!) to your local shelter.
4) Feed your co-workers
Cake makes work more bearable. Fact.
5) Bake something for a friend, for no reason
Make them a batch of their favourite cookies to enjoy, this is especially welcome if they are having a bad day!
6) Volunteer for Free Cakes For Kids (UK)
Free Cakes For Kids is a charity that allows children from low-income homes to enjoy fabulous birthday cakes.
7) Visit an elderly centre
Contact your local elderly centre to find out if you can donate your baking to their afternoon tea or perhaps even to hand out during their bingo night! Stay a while and chat to them.
8) Host a charity bake sale
Bake sales are a great way to raise money, especially for a good cause! You could also host a Macmillan coffee morning.
Bonus ideas for food bloggers…
- Make a baking e-cookbook and donate the profits to a charity close to your heart.
- Promote a charity or fundraising event on your blog by hosting a virtual bake sale. This idea is inspired by Rachel over at Food Nerd who is hosting a virtual bakesale to raise money for Macmillan Cancer support. Get involved if you can!
- Giveaway some baking goodies or a cookbook out of your own pocket on your blog for no reason!
Do you have any other ideas you’d add to the list? Are there any you’re thinking of doing? I’m trying to plan my baking the night before I go to work to share with my co-workers and will hopefully be donating something to a shelter that’s just around the corner from where I live.