Yes, healthy cookies. These cookies are so healthy, even those on a “detox” can eat them! I’ve used ground almonds instead of flour, ripe bananas in place of a sweetener, chia seeds in place of eggs and superfood cacao powder for flavour and an extra health boost. However, as delicious as these cookies are, they aren’t as sweet as regular cookies so if you feel like it, you can add some extra sweetness to the mix (try a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to keep it healthy.) But they were sweet enough for my taste :-)
I made these for a quick, healthy bite to grab in the morning. A lot of the time, I don’t have an appetite for a full breakfast first thing so I thought these would be perfect to graze on whilst on the go. I originally made them as muffins, which were DELICIOUS but not the prettiest looking things and yes, the cookies aren’t the best looking either but the good thing about the cookies is you can eat more of them and they keep longer without going soggy!
I reckon this recipe could be made raw but I don’t have a dehydrator to test it out. I may try the low-heat oven method but if anyone fancies testing it out, I’d be very interested in hearing the results…
- 300g (3 cups) ground almonds
- Detox-friendly baking powder (1/2 tsp cream of tartar + 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 3-4 medium bananas, very ripe - the riper the better!
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- (optional) 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup, for added sweetness
- Preheat oven to 170c.
- In a glass, mix the chia seeds with the water and let thicken for a couple of minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, cacao powder and baking powder.
- Spoon in the chia seeds and break in the banana. Mix until a smooth batter is formed. Taste at this point to see if you want to add the optional sweetener.
- Transfer the mixture between two sheets of cling film and roll out to a 1/2cm dough. Using a cookie cutter or upside down glass, make 24 cookies out of the dough and transfer to a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.*
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until dark golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying :-)
- *The dough will be quite sticky but you should be able to make cookie shapes easily enough. If not, leave the dough wrapped in cling film in the fridge for half an hour to firm up a bit.