Coming from an Irish family, I naturally love potatoes. So I was delighted when GreenVale sent me some of their “all-rounder” potatoes to try and review…
First of all, I love the paper packaging, not just because it looks cool and rustic but also because it’s recyclable and helps keep the potatoes fresh too. So already I was impressed! The second thing I noticed was that they were very clean, this is because they have been pre-washed (showered) so no scrubbing and getting your hands dirty – hooray! They also boast being all-rounders and can be roasted, mashed, baked or boiled. Very handy and a lot better than buying separate types of potatoes which can add up in cost and food waste.
I decided to use the potatoes to make stuffed baked potato skins because they’re a filling meal in their own right and make an easy and frugal weeknight dinner. Scroll down for my Salmon & Chive Stuffed Potato Skins! The potato insides were fluffy, creamy and tasted good whilst the jackets were nice and crispy.
Final thoughts on GreenVale Farm Fresh Potatoes…
Convenient, eco-friendly and sustainable, great texture and great taste! The only downside is they don’t appear to be widely available at the moment. However, you can buy them from some Tesco stores (and Tescos are pretty much everywhere…) Or visit their stockists page to find somewhere near you.
Now, onto the recipe. To recap, I’m a recovering seafood-phobic and am trying to include it more in my diet, so I took this opportunity to sneak it into my food… The more I eat it, the more I like it. I almost love it!
I really enjoyed this meal. The texture of the potato with the cream cheese is to-die-for and the smokey salmon with the fresh chives and salad onions add strong bursts of flavour. And I insist that you must eat this with rocket salad, as it was the perfect accompaniment.
- 4 medium-large GreenVale potatoes
- 150g (5oz) smoked salmon slices
- 100g (1/2 cup) cream cheese
- 3 spring/salad onions, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 190c. prick the potatoes with a fork and bake for 1hr 30m until the skins are crispy but the potatoes are nice and fluffy inside! As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthways, scoop out the insides (leave in a separate bowl) and leave them in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
- Preheat the grill.
- To the bowl of potato, stir in the cream cheese, onions, chives and small slices of salmon then mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato jackets, season with salt and pepper then place under the grill for 10-15 minutes until they turn golden brown and slightly crispy on top.
- Serve with some rocket salad and enjoy!