Lavender is a scent I’ve loved since I can remember but has now become a taste I very much enjoy too, especially when paired with chocolate. It’s such a calming flavour and although quite subtle, it’s noticeable, even in a recipe with rich and bitter dark chocolate. The two opposites create a delicate harmony, making them an ideal pairing.
I first tried tasting lavender when creating my Lavender & Blueberry Porridge and whilst I could see why it may not be to everyone’s taste, I loved the purfumey earthiness, it has such a decadent feel to it. But it’s definitely best tried with chocolate and that is why I made these cupcakes!
And did you know that it’s national cupcake week from the 16th-22nd of this month? Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes host a monthy challenge called Calendar Cakes and this month is all about cupcakes in honour of cupcake week! Read more about it here.
- 100g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips
- 115g (1/2 cup) butter
- 150g (⅔ cup) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 85g (¾ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 240ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender
- 360g (3 cups) confectioners' sugar
- Violet gel-paste food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a heat-proof bowl, stir the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water until melted.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the sugar and eggs. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and whisk again until a thick batter is formed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are spongey but firm.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before icing.
- To make the icing, pour the milk into a pan with the dried lavender and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it infuse and cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk and discard the leftover lavender. Pour into a large bowl and whisk the icing sugar in. Add the food coloring until desired colour is achieved.
- Ice the cupcakes and add some extra dried lavender on top for decoration, if you wish.
- Leave in the fridge for 15 minutes to let the icing firm up. Enjoy!