Pancake Day is on it’s way! And I’m really happy to share with you my gluten-free recipe for American or Scotch style pancakes, which turned out more amazing than I could have hoped for… I can’t remember the last time I even ate a pancake, let alone made one, before these. But after this recipe, I’ll be making them much more often. They’re fluffy, light, healthy, sweet – but not too sweet and perfectly filling. Such a treat for breakfast…
- 75g ground almonds
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + extra for frying
- 1 medium very ripe banana, mashed or 4 tbsp banana puree
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2tbsp (heaped) coconut flour
- 3-4 tbsp coconut or almond milk
- A handful of mixed berries (frozen work well)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Maple syrup, to serve
- In a food processor, blend the almonds, bicarbonate of soda, honey and coconut oil together until completely smooth.
- Add the coconut flour, banana and eggs - blend again to make a smooth batter then slowly add the milk a tbsp at a time to create a mixture that falls off the spoon but isn't too runny.
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan or griddle on medium heat. When it's hot, make your first pancake by dropping 2tbsp of batter into the pan and gently smoothing into a circle.
- Cook for about 30 seconds - 1 minute on one side then gently flip them over to cook for a further 30 seconds on the other side. Use the first pancake as your "test" one to judge how long they need.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes onto some kitchen towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Make the berry sauce by simply heating the berries in a saucepan with the lemon juice until thick and gloopy!
- Stack the pancakes and drizzle the sauce on top with some fresh berries. Add some extra maple syrup to serve.
Don't be tempted to flatten the pancakes with your spatula - this will deflate them!
Add more oil to the pan if it dries out before adding your next pancake.
If you don't like banana - try a different fruit puree, such as applesauce.
In other news…
A few of my recipes are featured in the latest issue of Go Gluten Free Magazine! You can buy a copy here or purchase through Apple, Android and Kindle apps.
Who else is going to be celebrating Pancake Day this Tuesday?